Thursday, January 27, 2011

Assignment 1: Business Card Redesign

Like most of the class, I tackled the business card redesign first. My goal was to create a professional by using most of the information already presented. This proved to be challenging because there was so much information to begin with. But, I think I accomplished my goal.

Contrast

The fundamental design element used in my business card is contrast. I contrasted the black text (Arial) with the plain white background. I think that was my intent from the beginning. I like the cleanliness of the white business card. Plus, the construction industry isn’t a flashy one, so the simpler the better. That’s why I also chose the simple text, too. Originally, I wasn’t going to incorporate any graphics because the card was already so full, but based on Tiffany’s comment to my blog post on Tuesday, I decided to add a simple graphic to add a pop of color. (The image I chose was purchased legally through iStockphoto.) I didn’t want an image set in the field with a lot of varying colors, so this one works really well. The main colors are black and yellow; the yellow adds just enough contrast from the black and white but not enough to overpower the card.

I also contrasted my text just a little by changing the font size and style in areas. The company name is the largest and bolded more since it is placed at the top. Next, the contact name is the same style of font as the company name, but the contact name is two points smaller. Below that, I took the bold typeface off the addresses and phone numbers but kept the size the same as the contact name. Finally, the company services are displayed in the smallest font size (six-point font). The reason I did this is because the eyes naturally go from top to bottom, and the most important information is generally located at the top of documents with the least important at the bottom. So, I did this to help the eye down the text of the business card.


Repetition

Well, since my card design is fairly simple, my repetition comes from my font and color use. Again, I relied heavily upon black text, and then I also pulled in black with the image I chose. With my font (although I changed the font size some), I kept the font consistent throughout.

I repeated my image and the world “Construction.” Really, though, the image was just there to reinforce the idea of the construction industry. The graphic is unnecessary because the card says what it needs to say. But my thinking was that if someone merely glanced at the image (maybe upside down for some reason or from a distance), he or she would be able to identify that the business associated with this card was in the construction industry—all without having to read any text.

Another element of repetition (which isn’t exactly noticeable) is the loop I wanted to create when people look at the card. My intent was, because culturally we begin reading at the top left, was to lead the reader from that point down the business card and then to have the reader’s eyes glance up to the graphic. Then, the arm of the backhoe would lead the reader’s eyes back up to the name of the company. At no point would the reader’s eyes be lead off the card. It was a subtle perceptual element I wanted to introduce here.


Alignment

The primary vertical alignment for the business card is flush left, but I also have an invisible vertical right alignment between the graphic and the word “Equipment” at the bottom and an invisible horizontal alignment between the graphic and the cell phone number. I made sure also to leave the same amount of white space on all four sides so that the alignment was consistent.


Proximity

Obviously, I grouped items together based on their relationship to other things. As a whole, I grouped my text on the left side of the business card and my graphic on the right side. On a smaller scale, though, I focused on grouping the address information together and the phone number information together. However, I intentionally isolated the company name, the contact name, and company services. I wanted people to see those items individually.


Other Design Concepts Explored

Again, my card is simple. However, I eliminated minimal information and just cleaned up the card. I incorporated a graphic only because I assumed the business wanted a graphic. After all, the business’ original card used three unrelated images. I narrowed my graphic down to one that related specifically to the industry of the business. Plus, the image I chose is easily identifiable with the construction industry.

And, I also chose to go simple rather than over-the-top. The company is comprised of two employees, and they obviously don’t have time to focus on a business card. But that doesn’t mean they can’t have a professional look to what they do. Other people in the construction industry—or potential clients searching for a construction company—don’t want to see excessive, flowery design. They want to see strong, bold colors and straight-to-the-point information.

Job done.

3 comments:

  1. Good Job! I decided to comment on your resume for this sundays blog post. Here's how the design relates to the rhetorical, cognitive, and affective concepts:

    Rhetorical: This card looks ideal for a construction business card. The picture allows any reader to immediately relate it to construction. You minimized the information provided from the original card, but I believe this was good. The information now given is what truly matters to getting business done.

    Cognitive: The subtitle at the bottom provides exactly what this company is about. I think this is nicely done because you don't want to deceive anyone with what your company actually does. I also like how brief it is encouraging you to actually contact the president for more information.

    Affective: Like I said in the first statement, the pictures work well for the audience. The pictures grabs the attention and the information provided simply supports it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha:

    I enjoyed reviewing your first re/design. This was a good first assignment for you in a number of ways. Might work to make more clear how you're addressing key points that I'm looking for, as discussed during class. I'll offer notes here, and a grade that can be accessed through Moodle by clicking on grades at the top of http://richrice.com/3369. Some notes:

    - The four main concepts in the course include CONTRAST, REPETITION, ALIGNMENT, and PROXIMITY (see Williams page 13)

    - Contrast refers to making things different on the artifact, not merely similar; good principles of space usage, including the border around it, and breaking the title to give enough room for the graphic; good inclusion of others' comments into your design

    - Repetition includes repeating visual elements throughout the piece; for visual repetition on the phones, you could have included office on the first phone number

    - Alignment says that nothing should be arbitrary; might use a | instead of a / because the slash can mean either/or rather that in addition to, which is what a pipe tends to indicate. Some of the text in the explanation of your design was not needed, as in too much informal usage; shouldn't the cell number be listed first, if the chances are the 2 workers would be out of the office?

    - Proximity suggests grouping and proximity for visual units; unclear if this is rental equipment or work for hire. That could be further explained on a website

    If you have questions, please offer them via email so that I don't miss them, or in a future blog post. I may miss comments in your blogs. This is the first of five re/designs. You may choose to revise and resubmit any or all of them in your ePortfolio for a review assessment. Effective, simple design.

    Dr. Rice

    ReplyDelete
  3. This buisness card was a very good redesign. The rhetorical aspect of this card commuintcates very well. If anyone were just to run accros this card without you giving it to them, they would have no problem understanding what the card was relating to. I also think that the content in the card leaves no room for question. With the logo and the content working together this card is very effective.

    ReplyDelete