Sunday, February 13, 2011

Utilizing the Principles of Page Design

I used various principles of page design in my re/design submitted Thursday night. My primary design goal was to utilize the entire page, even if what I was covering it with was simple and basic. So, I began with a blue, gradient background in an effort to tie in different elements (i.e., the company’s colors and design). Then, I developed a white area for my text so that I could utilize the best contrast possible. Although it was a simple business design, I think it was well planned to deliver the most impact.

One of the most important principles I used was enclosure. You can see right away that I have framed my text into a plain, white environment. This provided for great contrasting of the blue text from the blue graphic background.

The design was balanced with the contrasting colors of blue and white. I went from a graphic blue background to a completely white text area, so the contrast between the two helped define the overall balance of the design.  

Since this cover set doesn’t include a lot of text, it doesn’t require readers to focus too much on what it’s saying. Therefore, this design works well for readers who like to skim or scan.

I’ve also connected all the elements on the pages by staying true to a color scheme. Obviously, the blue gradient background stands out, so I pulled the same dark blue into my text. I also inserted two horizontal blue lines into the text area as well to help frame the text.

The sequencing is also important because I listed the title first and then followed it with the subheading of the company’s name and date.

I also utilized Z-patterning. I left-aligned the title of my proposal cover but then right-aligned the supporting text to keep the readers’ eyes moving from left to right. I used the power zone concept for the main title as well, and then another power zone was the subhead on the cover page.

My design is also quite asymmetrical, and that was done on purpose. As I stated in my original blog post regarding this design, I wanted to make sure the text was positioned higher up on the page rather than centered on it. Therefore, I placed the text area where readers eyes might naturally fall—in the upper half of the design, leaving the bottom majority left to encompass the graphic background.

I incorporated some negative space into my design as well to help boost the contrast. Some might think that I left too much negative space in the text area under the main heading, but I would disagree. I wanted the title to stand out above everything else, so creating negative space around it will help accomplish that goal.

I did not use a grid system for this design since it was so simple. However, I do plan to utilize one and incorporate some visible eyelines into my next design. My plan is to do something a little more complex and intricate—maybe a poster or a flyer instead of a business document as my last two re/designs have been.

1 comment:

  1. Nice thinking here, Tasha, about what defines a page. Good thinking about using the entire page, even in terms of negative space or white space. Everything has a purpose, like you say, in terms of contrast and balance and sequencing. Good thinking about z-patterning. You're clearly reading the books and getting information out of them. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete