Sunday, March 20, 2011

English Department Flyer Redesign

For the English department flyer redesign, I focused on staying true to Tech's identity guidelines by using the proper color schemes and fonts. This way, viewers could easily identify the flyer with Tech even before reading it.

I have to be the first to admit that designing takes me longer than it probably does for most people. I’m a bit of a perfectionist, so every placement of text or imagery has to be just right before I can move on to the next part of a design. So, attempting to put even a simple flyer together during one class period was a little stressful; I didn’t even finish. However, I think the design idea is evident.

The biggest design element in my flyer is the curved line down the left-side of the page. This mimics the curved line that one might see when logging onto the Raiderlink site. Next, I designed the text to following the curved line of the design block. This exemplifies the fact that eyelines don’t necessarily have to be completely vertical or completely horizontal to be effective—everything just needs to be equally distant to be effective.

I also used the double-T logo in the left-hand corner that overlaps the curved design as well as the white space. This was the only true Tech designation I wanted to use; I figured anything more would be too heavy and interfere with the real message of the flyer.

As for the rhetoric of the flyer, I wanted the flyer to speak on a professional level since many of the jobs listed were professional. And, since Tech is a professional organization, the two seemed to go hand-in-hand. Student could envision themselves landing a good and professional job by choosing a career path that could potentially start in the English department.

As I mentioned earlier, I wanted people to instantly associate the flyer with Texas Tech, so the perception is just that: red, black, white, and gray equals Texas Tech. And, that goes back to professionalism, as well. Because Tech is professional, the English department and careers that can result from studying in English must be professional.

With culture, the colors associated with the flyer make one really feel like they would be part of the university if they study in the English department. Everyone wants to be part of a group, especially in such a large organization like a college, so being part of a larger organization would appeal to the culture of the student body.

Overall, I liked my design, but I liked a lot of the other designs that were created during class. To see what other students created in such a short amount of time was amazing. It was also interesting to see how the entire class worked on the same project, seeing as how we’re always working on something different. This project offered a unique perspective on how everyone sees design individually. It should be interesting to see what the flyer ends up looking like.

No comments:

Post a Comment